Helping Youth Thrive: A Training Curriculum on the 4-H Thriving Model Elements
The 4-H Thriving Model professional development committee, consisting of 4-H professionals from across the country, has been hard at work developing the 4-H Thriving Model curriculum for 4-H professionals and volunteers. We know there is tremendous need for these materials, and we are excited that Phase I of the curriculum is nearing completion and should be available in early 2023! Phase I focuses on the Developmental Context area of the model and includes Sparks, Developmental Relationships and Belonging (Program Quality).
Phase I Modules
Phase I of the curriculum contains 3 modules with activities designed to introduce each concept of the Developmental Context of the 4-H Thriving Model. Inherent in all modules is a community of practice design that helps educators and volunteers develop an application plan. A future meeting is scheduled to share what worked, what didn’t, and what’s next.
Each module is developed using guided inquiry embedded in an experiential learning framework. Modules include:
- Background information on the model element (e.g. sparks, developmental relationships, growth mindset, hopeful purpose, etc.)
- Identification of PRKC and VRKC competencies
- Learning objectives
- A list of materials needed and recommended time
- Key concepts and vocabulary definitions
- Highlights emphasizing attention and action related to diversity, equity, and inclusion are embedded in each module
- Detailed directions for facilitating learning activities using the experiential learning steps “do, reflect, and apply”
- Follow up Community of Practice (CoP) meeting to reflect on individual application plans with support from their peers
This process of curriculum development, including a contractual agreement with Search Institute for material used in the Sparks and Developmental Relationships modules, has been deliberate and careful to ensure that the highest quality curriculum is produced. While we know these materials are needed and anticipated eagerly throughout the system, we are delighted that we are so close to completing Phase I. So please hang tight! We will keep the availability of the curriculum updated through the 4-H PYD Champion Network.
Phase II Pilot -2023
Phase II of the curriculum that provides activity-based modules on the Thriving Indicators will be ready to pilot in the first part of 2023. We are looking for states to pilot some of the modules. Pilots do not need to engage the whole state, big numbers aren’t necessary. This is a great way to get your hands on the curriculum in the beta testing phase. If you are interested in helping, please contact Gemma Miner, co-chair of the Helping Youth Thrive Professional Development Committee.
Please click here for a list of 4-H professionals who are certified to provide training on the 4-H Thriving Model Curriculum! These educators are happy to assist you!